At its October 19, 1954 meeting the Lyons Civic
Club launched a movement to establish a public library for the Village
of Lyons. On June 24, 1955 the Board of Regents granted a provisional
charter to the Lyons School District Public Library; the absolute
charter was granted on September 30, 1960.
In January of 1956, the
Lyons School District Public Library officially opened its doors to the
public. The new library was located in the Darling House, where the
Board of Education offices are now. In January of 1967, the library
moved to its current location at the corner of Phelps and Canal streets,
on the first floor of the Eureka Grange building.
library continually reassesses its services and programs in order to
meet the needs of the people of Lyons and looks forward to the
challenges of the 21st century.